- Do I include lots of citations and cited study section members as appropriate?
- Have I studied the roster for the study section and assumed an appropriate level of prior knowledge among my reviewers?
- Have I formatted to facilitate skimming by reviewers, with an eye toward the review criteria?
- Have I apportioned space intentionally?
- If applying for a non-investigator-initiated FOA, have I written these sections specifically toward the instructions and goals of the FOA?
- Have I looked at samples from recently funded grant applications?
- Have I had an outside reader(s) assess these sections, either individually or as part of a mock study section?