Skip to content
- Do I understand the priorities of my agency and IC, and have I ensured that my project addresses these priorities?
- Have I compared my project idea to what is in Reporter database, and generated ideas about possible IC, PO, study section?
- Have I researched the myriad types of FOAs at NIH and considered some possibilities for this stage of my career and project?
- Have I used the CSR ART tool to examine possible study sections, and once I’ve narrowed my selections, researched that study section in Reporter?
- Have I discussed with a PO the optimal IC, my exact ESI expiration, FOA possibilities, study section options, and any other issues specific to my circumstances?
- Once I finalize IC, PO, FOA, and study section selections, have I revised my aims to exactly fit these audiences and circumstances? (IMPORTANT!)
- Do I understand how and why to build a relationship with the PO, and strategies to reach one who doesn’t respond?
- Do I understand the way my application will be read, discussed, and reviewed?
- Have I studied the instructions and review criteria for my specific FOA?
- Do I understand when/how to use Cover Letter vs. Assignment Request Form?
- Have I created a realistic writing schedule that allows enough time for me, my team, and my pre-award support office to create a competitive application package?
- Have I subscribed to weekly TOC, Open Mike blog, and CSR’s blog?