Most grant applications and contract proposals to NIH are reviewed in the Center for Scientific Review. The CSR puts out a newsletter periodically with updates and tidbits for NIH applicants. It is well worth subscribing to this newsletter, as well as spending some time perusing past issues. Here is the link to the latest edition:
Latest Issue of the Peer Review Notes
* How Well Is NIH Identifying and Advancing Innovative Research?
* Former Study Section Chairs Share Advice for New Reviewers
* Make the Best Use of the “Additional Comments to Applicant” Box
* Who Are the Other People in Your Review Meetings?
* CSR Reviews for the NIH-FDA Collaboration on Tobacco Control Regulatory Research